Friday, January 13, 2017

Little bit of Lacey (Lacey Back Tee from Snuggle My Baby Patterns)

You know how sometimes you see a pattern and wonder if you could possibly squeeze yourself into one?  Well, that was how it was for me when I saw the Lacey Back Tee from Snuggle My Baby Patterns. I was a little worried that my tomboy daughter was going to poo poo this top, but she saw the lace and it was over.  We were applying, and I was so excited when Jenn stuck my name on her tester list.  This top is pretty amazing.  It's perfectly feminine, but just "sporty" enough that my daughter wanted to pick it out of the wash to wear the next day.

So, let's do a quick rundown of the pattern features so you know what you're getting:

- Large pattern range: 2T-16.  So that means you can get some pretty good mileage out of this pattern.  My daughter is almost topped out on most patterns since she just now grew into a size 7 so the pattern range was very exciting to me.

- Three sleeve options: short, 3/4, and long.  I didn't make the short sleeved one for the test since we are in the throes of a very unpredictable winter here in OK, but come spring...

- Layered printing so that you can select the sizes you want to print.  Less ink and sometimes less paper if you're doing the smaller sizes.

- Various options for the back panel so you can do a lace back or a straight knit back.  I did two of each to see what they look like, and I kind of love both options.

- Photos and the usual clear step by step instructions for each step of assembly.  I like photos or illustrations because it helps me to see what mine should look like at each step!


Sweater knit from Sincerely Rylee
I signed up to do a few different sizes and was biting my fingernails a little that I was going to miss the deadline, BUT this shirt is seriously such a fast sew.  It has 4 pattern pieces and a neckband cutting chart so assembly took no time at all.  I actually use a glue stick for pattern piecing so that shaved off quite a bit of time as well.  About 45 minutes from start to finish, and I had a shirt done and hanging on the mannequin.  Seriously, really fast.

I also used a serger to put three of them together, and I tried one with the sewing machine just to see how long it would take.  The time to do either was about the same for me, so this is completely do-able with a sewing machine if you don't have a serger or coverstitch machine.  I will advise that you really need to pay attention to the foldover hem if you use a regular machine, though.  My hem was a little wonky on the lace one because I totally got cocky and thought, "yeah, I got this..."  and I did, BUT, I also didn't pay attention too closely and unpicking lace is not really an option.  HA!  My daughter didn't care, and I was able to iron it out pretty flat so we're good....Oh, and please use an ironing cloth of some sort on the lace or you'll be looking at a singed piece of mess (ask me how I know. :(!)

For my first top, I used a sweater knit from Sincerely Rylee, and oh mylanta, it looked so so comfy. My niece, who's pretty much anti anything girly for day to day wear, was all about this top, and I really want one for myself now.

My second top was for my daughter's friend, and I added a panel to the back so it wasn't see through. This is NOT part of the pattern, but it's easily done by making a second back panel and sewing the two together.  This one was an aqua with mint lace, and it turned out so pretty.  My model was so over the moon about how glamorous the lace made her feel.  She was actually a blend of sizes, and it was so easy to just cut the pieces to the sizes and lengths I needed.

The last two were for my daughter.  She asked for one with a standard knit panel in the back and one with just the lace, no lining...and lace sleeves.  Yeah, for my tomboy to ask for lace sleeves meant this top is pretty special.  That one was actually my favorite of the four if I HAD to pick a favorite.  I loved the look each one had and really makes this top so versatile.

I absolutely think that this top could easily be made for everyday wear with some leggings or jeans or dressed up with some slacks or a skirt for those "little more than casual" occasions!  I'm in love, and I'm going to make a shameless plug to Jenn to make this one in women's sizes, or I will seriously try to squeeze myself into the size 16.

Okay, so you've read this far (for which I am very appreciative so Thank You!) and seen some photos....how do you get this pattern?  Easy peasy.  This top is live right now on Jenn's webstore.  It's also available right now for the special release price of $5.  That price won't last forever, though, so don't miss your chance to get this awesome pattern at this price.  After the sale ends on the 20th of January, it goes up to the regular price of $8.

Thanks again for reading along!  Now, go grab your copy of the Lacey Back Tee and make one for your little love!

Blessings and Happy Sewing,
Kim


2 comments:

  1. Love this post! I'm definitely picking up that you would like for me to take this up to women's sizes! I guess I'll add that to the list! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this post! I'm definitely picking up that you would like for me to take this up to women's sizes! I guess I'll add that to the list! :)

    ReplyDelete