Friday, August 26, 2016

Just Emmy and me (Emmy Tee Shirt from Laela Jeyne Patterns



A few months ago, my daughter saw a top I had tested for Laela Jeyne Patterns.  Ever since then, she has been begging me to make one for her so when Marisa announced that the Emmy was ready for testing, SHE decided that I needed to apply to test so I was very excited that Marisa chose me to be part of her Emmy pattern testing team...I think the boo was maybe a little more excited, though!  She loves this shirt and wants one for every day of the week...or month.

Let's go over some pattern details real quick so you can see some specifics:

- Wide range of sizes: 6M-14 and unisex up to size 6
- Three neck options: standard, cowl, hood
- Two sleeve cap options: standard, gathered
- Three elbow patch templates
- Three cuff options: hemmed, banded, thumb cuff
- Three sleeve options: short, elbow, long
- Optional side seam triangle accent
- Layered printing
- Clear concised instructions with illustrations for those of us who like the visual references

So, really, this shirt is a great pattern that covers all types of style preferences!  My kids don't get excited about school clothes at the beginning of the year because their school has uniforms, but when they do get to wear "real" clothes, they always ask me to make something for them.  It was perfect timing that the Emmy is being released.  We're starting to see some cooler weather here, in the mornings at least, so I definitely see fall coming on soon for us!

I made my daughter two different tops for the test.  The first one was with a standard neck, standard sleeve.  I used a panel from the "Like a Girl" series that Lily Himrod ran at Zenith and Quasar.  It was just a teeny bit small for the size 7 so I colorblocked some black knit with it to make it big enough, and I kind of loved how it turned out.  Nini is pretty tall and sits in the 97th percentile for height so I used a size 8 armscye to give some extra ease in the armpits, but the rest of the shirt was spot on for a size 7 which is her ready to wear size.

My son, however, is in the 17th percentile for height so he's a short stack like me.  Thankfully, being super tiny is one of his favorite things about himself!  I was a little worried that the shirt would be a little long on him, but it was actually perfect length!  He's a size 5 in store bought clothes, and this fit perfectly on him!  I did cut this one straight across because I wasn't paying attention and cut into the bottom curve so this was my "salvage my mistake" mod.  He was so excited about getting a new shirt that he agonized over the fabric he wanted.  He finally settled on a race car knit that I got from Ozark Fabrics and a checkered flag knit from Sincerely Rylee.

Nini's second shirt HAD to have a hood.  AND it needed gathered sleeves and thumb holes.  AND, it HAD to be flowery.  She shares my obsession for florals...I had some liverpool that a friend picked up for me from Hancock's (so sad that I can't get more of this awesomeness), and when she saw it, that was the one she got stuck on.  The instructions are so easy to follow for the thumb cuffs that I seriously want to put thumb cuffs on EVERY shirt from now on!  These were all long sleeve shirts but I do intend to make some more of these in the other sleeve versions when the temperature starts climbing back up in the spring and summer...

Now, let's get you some info on how to get your copy of the Emmy T-shirt pattern and, if you want to make some Mommy and Me shirts, the Emily T-shirt pattern!  The Emmy is available right now at Marisa's webstore, and it is on sale right now for $6 (all single patterns are on sale for 30% as part of the last storewide sale that Marisa will be doing with a pattern release!).  This sale is good until the 29th of August.  There is also and Emily and Emmy bundle that you can get for $10.50 as part of the sale going on!!  There is also a Laela Jeyne Patterns Group on Facebook where you can keep up to date on Marisa's happenings and see what others have created using Laela Jeyne patterns.  It's also a great place to ask for help if you hit a bump!

This pattern really is perfect for every season, and with so many options, the possibilities are endless! So, don't miss out on the release sale and go grab your copy of this and the Emily today!!  Thanks so much for reading along!
We were a little done with photos by this point!  HA!

Blessings and Happy Sewing,
Kim

No comments:

Post a Comment