Wednesday, September 3, 2014

I am a feminist...

I was at the store the other day, and there was a young lady standing at the deli counter waiting.  I looked over at her and flashed a quick half smile.  Then, I glanced at her little button that said “Girl Power”.  I’m guessing she noticed that I glanced at it because she said, “Yeah, I’m a feminist.”

Later, I was thinking about what exactly that means…to be a feminist.  I have a different take on feminism, I think.  Or rather, I see it differently than some people do.  Before you start getting indignant, hear me out.  We, as women, were created to be extraordinary.  We have the heart of a lioness for the people we love.  We fight for them when they cannot.  Women are strong and powerful, yet gentle and soft.  We cry for grief, happiness, loneliness, joy, pride, and every other emotion that we feel.  We fight for what we believe in, and we fight for those who cannot fight for themselves.  Women nurture and love even when they are hurting inside, and we have a strength in us that moves us forward to continue when we are broken.  We care for others even when we are sick ourselves, and we lift others up when we are crumbling inside.  Often we forget our own self worth, and we forget that even when we feel most alone, we are surrounded by people who rely on us to help them see there is a tomorrow.  Women are powerful, strong, and independent. 

However, I think that embracing what is feminine about us also means approaching life with gentleness and grace. Women should have modesty and be ladylike.  We shouldn’t revel in the fact that we can curse like sailors or drink any man under the table.  We shouldn’t strive to be “one of the guys”.  We aren’t one of the guys!  We’re women.  We’re beautiful and nurturing, loving and strong, powerful and capable, gentle and encouraging.  We are heiresses of God’s kingdom.  Women are one of His most special creations, and for me, being a feminist means embracing all that it means to be a woman.


2 comments:

  1. You really said that well. It's lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glory in our femininity. Stand for our beliefs in a dignified manner. Always seek God's will. Treat others with love. These things to me are what it means to be a feminist. We may not always believe it, but we a blessed to be created as a woman.

    Good post!

    ReplyDelete