Friday, May 20, 2016

Say hello to la Isla bonita (from Laela Jeyne Patterns)


Two words...swimsuit season.  I seriously want to dig a hole and crawl in it every year when the swimsuits start coming out because I can never find anything that I like or that fits me well enough to wear it in public.  I'm well beyond dental floss bikinis and not quite ready for full body coverups sooo, when Marisa from Laela Jeyne Patterns put out the call for her new bikini, I loved the look of it but wasn't so sure about the look of it on me.  However, we're in a year of getting out of our comfort zones here in our household so, I took the plunge.  AND I LOVE IT!!!!

Okay, okay...before I start telling you what I love, let's do some basics about the pattern:

- Available in sizes 0-22
- Faux cross over top with a sweetheart neckline
- Ties in the back so you don't have to worry about clips
- 3 bottom rise options: bikini, high, ultra high
- 2 bottom options: standard, ruched
- Skirt overlay option
- Detailed instructions to fit to different body types
- Layered, no trip pattern pages
- Clear, concise directions with photos and illustrations

For my test suit, I made two different tops to wear with the same bottoms.  I did add the optional cup inserts, but I didn't do the power net on these.  I still felt like all of my bits were appropriately supported, but I do have another set on the cutting table that's waiting for me to find time to give it some attention.  That one I will try some power net on.  :/!  Hopefully that happens before the summer is over.  Be aware that power net and power mesh are completely different. Power net is sturdier and provides extra support in your suit.  I found some online at both Spandex World and Fabric World.

I love the fit of the entire suit. The top offers me plenty of support and still maintains that vintage feel to it.  I made the high waist rise on this suit and went with the ruched bottoms to keep the yesteryear flow going, and they are so comfortable.  The waist is finished with a band while the legs have elastic to keep the bottoms on your bottom, and overall bum coverage is fantastic.  I wasn't constantly yanking at myself while we were doing photos!

The cups were a little tricky to get right at first, and I ended up taping the cups to the lining while holding it up to my body.  Then I lined it up with the center of each side while still making sure to have adequate support.  I love the tie back on the top because it lets me adjust how tight I have the top on my body without me having to move hardware or measure where to put buckles and adjusters.

The beauty of this pattern is that it works well for both nursing mama's and soon to be mama's.  One of the testers made hers in the bikini rise, and it was perfect for her as a maternity bikini while another tester was able to easily nurse her little while wearing her Isla.  We had a wide variety of body types and cup sizes in the test group, and this top offered great support for everyone from cup sizes A-G. There are also pretty extensive directions on how to do a full bust adjustment if needed.
Pretty much everyone who tested looked rockstar amazing in this suit.  I told my husband that, "Thunderbirds are go!" for me wearing this suit to the lake (which happens to be called Lake Thunderbird...)
Pretending that it was really warm out
so you wouldn't notice the goose pimples!  HA!
I told everyone that I am seriously going to put swimsuit model on my taxes this year because I feel amazing in this bikini.  It had been almost 20 years since my last bikini, and I had pretty much decided that I will just stick to shorts and a tee...then this happened.  I want to make me a whole week's worth of Isla's so that I don't have to worry about having a suit to wear at the lake this summer.  I just wish it would get warm enough soon!  We went to the lake for photos, and it was 50 something degrees out so I was in sweatpants and a coat as we walked to the shore...soon, though. Soon...the wind did catch me by surprise while we were out there, and my husband just laughed and kept clicking the camera.  Really, he prides himself on being funny, but I have my doubts.
Yup, that wind is chilly!!
Now, get this...there is also a kimono that you get for free when you grab your own copy of the Isla Bikini!  The Isla is available now and will be on sale until the 24th of May for a special release price of $8.50!  After that, it goes up to full price.  Just head over to Laela Jeyne Patterns here! Marisa also has a FB group where you can keep up with her goings on and get some help if you hit a bump when you're sewing up any of your LJ patterns!

Thanks so much for sticking it out with me and reading along!  Now go grab your copy of the Isla Bikini set and make yourself a bathing suit of your own!

Happy Sewing and Blessings,
Kim

No comments:

Post a Comment